DIVING IN SILFRA
Immerse yourself in a unique underwater world with unmatched water clarity and swim between the Eurasian and American continental plates!
If you would like to ride with us your Silfra Diving Day Tour begins when we pick you up from your accommodation in Reykjavík. During the one-hour drive to Thingvellir National Park, your guide will introduce you to the unique geological and cultural history of Silfra and the surrounding Thingvellir area. If you have your own transportation, you also have the option of meeting us directly at Thingvellir Park. Click on this link and you find directions to the meeting point in Thingvellir.
Upon arrival at the Silfra fissure, your guide will give you a detailed briefing of the dive site and will then assist you in setting up the dive equipment. We use only high quality BARE and Aqualung brand SCUBA equipment and APEX or Aqualung regulators.
Then it’s time to take the plunge and experience diving into Silfra’s pristine, crystal clear water. Filtered over decades by Iceland’s volcanic basaltic rock, you can easily take a sip during your dive; you won’t find purer drinking water.
During your dive you will explore the four main parts of Silfra. You will float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section, where you can have your ‘Dive Between the Continents’ photo taken. As the fissure widens you will find yourself in the majestic Silfra Hall with the possibility of local geese and ducks paddling overhead. Near to the opening to Thingvallavatn we will enter the Silfra Cathedral; if there are divers ahead you will see the ‘chandelier effect’ of their rising bubbles. Your dive is finished in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
After this first dive, we will make our way back along a challenging but rewarding 250 meter path with our dive gear and then warm our hands and spirits with hot chocolate and cookies. Don’t hesitate to ask your guide if you need some assistance with your gear.
This tour includes two dives. Each dive will take about 30-40 minutes with a maximum depth of 18 meters. In the winter, however, if the outside temperature drops below 0°C, we conduct only one extended (40-45 minute) dive for the safety and comfort of our divers.
If you have friends or family who are not certified divers but would also like to experience Silfra, they would be very welcome to join the Snorkelling Silfra Day Tour.
In order to join this tour you must have dry suit certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within the last two years of tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date
- have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Diving Silfra Medical Statement (to be signed online after booking)
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- be at minimum 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
Departure: 6-8 hours
Season: All year
- Transfer from Reykjavik to Silfra
- English Speaking Guide
- 2 Dives with guide
- Necessary Equipment
- Hot beverages
- Entrance to Silfra (1000ISK)
Prices Excludes: Food
Recommendations: Proper foot ware and warm cloths
Obs! This tour is in English
This excursion is operated by: Dive.is
This day tour is often combined with:
Reykjavik Food Walk
Iceland brings a lot of specialties to the table, and since it is an island nation a lot of the delicacies are from the ocean. The Icelandic people have also a tradition to eat different kinds of meet, especially sheep. Take this interesting tours to get a taste of real authentic Icelandic food.3,5 HoursAll year