Flight from selected airport to Keflavik/Iceland. Shuttle transfer to Reykjavik. Overnight in a Guesthouse.
- June- Aug
- Price from:
- £ 2,025
- 7 days / 6 nights
- according to schedule
Iceland's most famous trek - from hut to hut - 7 daysBooking request
The best-known of all treks in Iceland, this trail leads from the famous valley of Landmannalaugar in the southern highlands, south to Thórsmörk valley north of the great Eyjafjallajökull glacier. On the way, we cross the third-biggest geothermal zone in the world, pass yellow rhyolite mountains, black deserts and green valleys. Accommodation is in comfortable mountain huts. Escorted tour with luggage transportation. A perfect outdoor holiday trip to Iceland!
Guests are picked up at 08.00 to 08.30 in the morning from their accommodation in Reykjavik. We drive to the beautiful rhyolith area Landmannalaugar were we will spend the afternoon with a relaxing walk through this colourful landscape. A black obsidian lava stream forms a magnifique contrast to the green, white, red and yellow hills. Here in Landmannalaugar is one of the few possibilities to take a bath in a natural hot pool, surrounded by this fascinating landscape.
We will start early today, as we have a long day ahead of us. But we needn’t worry because our bus driver will take care of our luggage and bring it to Alftavatn. We only carry the things we need for this daytrip. At first our hiking path is slowly uphill until we get to the hot spring area of Storihver which lies fascinating between the yellow, red and black lava. As soon as we passed Hrafntinnusker we will have a great view and walk on the plateau until we descend to Lake Alftavatn and our hut for this night.(walking time about 8 hours).
Today we will walk over wide and expanse areas of gravel and sand, crossing few (rather cold) rivers. While walking we can feel the wideness and loneliness of this country. Today’s terrain is rather flat but with a wonderful view to the surrounding mountains and glaciers; (walking time: about 6 hours).
The walk starts east from the hut through a colourful canyon and we will have a great view to the Myrdalsjökull glacier. We cross the river Sydri-Emstruá on a bridge and the trek runs easily along the river Markarfljot. The closer we come to the green valley of Thorsmörk the more we understand why Iceland is called the country of contrasts. Before reaching Thorsmork we’ll need to wade one river; (walking time: about 6 hours).
Before leaving Thorsmörk we will climb the hill Valahnjukur for a good view over the valley, the glaciers and rivers here. We will walk into the small canyon Stakkholtsgja and find there a very beautiful waterfall. We pass by a small glacier lake and perhaps we even will see some icebergs swimming in this lake. Driving along the green South Coast of Iceland we come back to Reykjavik.
Shuttle transfer from your guesthouse to Keflavik airport for your return flight.
- Sleeping bag
- Warm underwear (no cotton)
- Walking socks and well-used hiking boots
- Shoes for crossing the rivers (slippers, trainers…), and some to use during the stays in the hut
- Fleece or similar jackets, tracksuit
- Gore-Tex jacket and trousers
- Gloves, cap, swimsuit, sunglasses
- Thermos and lunch box
- Sunscreen, flashlight
- Backpack to carry your daily luggage during the walks
- Walking sticks (give more safety when crossing rivers)
- Plaster for blisters and medicine for personal use
You can find more information on Iceland as a travel destination, on travel planning and on booking with Iceland ProTravel in the section: "Frequently Asked Questions".
Price per Person in £
|Room type||price per person £|
|Single room||£ 2,150,-|
|Double room||£ 2,025,-|
You can request the holiday you would like to book, and we will check the availability and contact you via e-mail within 48 hours to confirm the availability.
Prices may change according to availability.
Tour code: 0320
- r/t fly bus airport transfer KEF-REK-KEF
- 2 nights at 3* hotel in Reykjavik incl. breakfast (first and last night)
- public bus ride from Reykjavik to Landmannalaugar from down town bus terminal
- public bus ride from Thorsmork to Reykajvik
- Transfportation of luggage day 3 to 5
- Sleeping bag accommodation/shared facilities and sleeping quarters in mountain huts from day 2-5 (4 nights)
- Full board that starts with lunche on the 2nd day and ends with lunch on day 6
- English speaking guide
- Flights from/to Reykjavik
- Travel insurance
- Sleeping bags
- Any other things not mentioned in "included"